Friday, November 30, 2012

Available Time

Psalm 31:14-24

David often talked about God's hand and the hand of the enemy. "My times are in Your hand; deliver me from the hand of my enemies, and from those who persecute me" (v. 15). That's a marvelous declaration of faith. And David didn't write it from a hotel suite somewhere. He was out in the Judean wilderness, where it was dark and dirty and dry. And he was being chased by Saul.

In writing "my times are in Your hand," David teaches us several lessons. First, "time" is important. If you waste time, you're wasting "eternity." If you wast time, you're wasting "opportunity". All I can give to God is my body, my ability, and my time. And if I don't give Him my time, He can't use my body or my ability. Time is valuable - don't waste it. Invest it.

Second, David reminds us how important "surrender" is. Who controls the available time we have when we're not working or doing the things that must be done to maintain life - that unregistered, undirected time? If we surrender to the Lord, He can control that time. I learned many years ago to turn my entire day over to Him at the beginning of every day. If I have interruptions, He's in control. If my plans are changed, He's in control.

Third, this leads to God's blessings for us. When our times are in His hand, we can trust Him; He has blessings especially prepared for us. "Oh, how great is Your goodness, which You have laid up for those who fear You" (v. 19). God has some wonderful blessings prepared for you today. But you are not going to enjoy them unless you truly say, "Lord, my times are in Your hand."

Time is perhaps your most basic resource. How you us God's gift of time has a profound effect not only on your life but on the lives of others. It's important that you surrender your time to His care. When you give God your time, you surrender it to His control. He will bless you for it.

~Warren W. Wiersbe~

No comments:

Post a Comment