Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Hoping In God's Mercy


In our last devotional, Psalm 147:10-11 showed us how important fearing God is to pleasing Him. 
He does not delight in the strength of the horse; He takes no pleasure in the legs of a man.  The LORD takes pleasure in those who fear Him, in those who hope in His mercy.

In today's devotional, I want to look at the second thing that pleases God, according to this psalm, those who hope in God's mercy.

You have to wonder why the Lord put those two things together, the fear of Him and hoping in His mercy.  At first blush, they do not seem to go together, but they do.

They show how God truly understands our nature.  That even those who reverence Him, and truly fear Him, and try to live for Him, sometimes fall short.  And in those moments of failure, they need the mercy of God.

In fact, we are told in the Book of Proverbs that the righteous man falls seven times, but gets up again.

You know, I love God, and I do my best to serve Him and walk with Him.  But I'm super grateful for His mercy!  Thank God He is a merciful God!  Because there are times when I so desperately need it, And I am sure you do, too!

My friend, if you have stumbled and today feel like you are a million miles away from God, do not despair.  God finds pleasure in those who hope in His mercy.  He is delighted when you ask for His mercy.  He will not be angry.

Remember, only the guilty need mercy. And God finds pleasure when in your guilt you call out to Him, and hope in His mercy.

~Bayless Conley~

No comments:

Post a Comment