Thursday, February 20, 2014

The Name and the Nature

"Exalt ye the Lord our God, and worship at his footstool, for he is holy" (Psalm 99:5)

Study the Bible carefully with the help of the Holy Spirit and you will find that the name and the nature of Jesus are one. It is not enough to know how to spell Jesus' name. If we have come to be like Him in nature, if we have come to the place of being able to ask in accordance with His will, He will give us the good things we desire and need. We do not worship in name only. We worship God as the result of a birth from above in which God has been pleased to give us more than a name. He has given us a nature transformed.

Why should we delude ourselves about pleasing God in worship? If I live like a worldly and carnal tramp all day and then find myself in a time of crisis at midnight, how do I pray to a God who is holy? How do I address the One who has asked me to worship Him in spirit and in truth? Do I get on my knees an call on the name of Jesus because I believe there is some magic in than name?

I have come to believe that no worship in wholly pleasing to God until there is nothing in us displeasing to God.

~A. W. Tozer~

No comments:

Post a Comment