Friday, June 13, 2014

What Is True Religion?

"If they speak not according to this word, it is because there is no light in them" (Isaiah 8:20)

To the convicted Christian there can be but one true religion. The self-converted may shy away from the bigotry and intolerance which he fears lie in an exclusive devotion to Christianity, but the wholly converted will have no such apprehensions. To him Christ is all in all, and the faith of Christ if God's last word to mankind. To him there is but one God the Father, one Lord and Saviour, one faith, one baptism, one body, one Spirit, one fold and one Shepherd. To him there is none other name under heaven given among men whereby we must be saved. For him Christ is the only way, the only truth and the only life. For him Christ is the only wisdom, the only righteousness, the only sanctification and the only redemption.

When, therefore, I ask the question, "Are we having a revival of true religion?" I have only one religion in mind. I mean the faith of the New Testament as held and experienced by the fathers. I mean religion of which Moses and all the prophets did write, that religion which originated in the heart of God the Father, was made effectual through the dying and resurrection of God the Son and is vitalized by God the Holy Spirit. Of this religion the Hebrew and Christian Scriptures are the source book, the first and last word, to which we dare add nothing and from which we dare take nothing away.

Lord, You are my all in all, my righteousness. I pray that I will not be caught up with religious accoutrements but that my focus will always be on the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. Amen

~A. W. Tozer~

No comments:

Post a Comment