Tuesday, October 27, 2015

For You, A Vile Sinner, A Rebel Worm!


For you, a vile sinner, a rebel worm!

(David Harsha, "Christ Crucified!")


"He loved me, and gave Himself up for me!" Galatians 2
:20
Ponder the amazing love exhibited in the death of Christ. Would you see the highest manifestation of eternal love? Then contemplate Christ crucified! Here is the grand exhibition of infinite love.

In the crucifixion of the glorious Redeemer, the brightest love that ever shone on earth is displayed.

What boundless love is seen here--the infinite love of Christ, shining in all its glory!

What but infinite love brought Him . . .
  from the height of glory and bliss--to the depths of sufferings;
  from the throne of Heaven--to the cross of Calvary!

What but infinite love made Him a suffering man, and a dying Savior!

What but infinite love made Him hasten to Jerusalem, to suffer for rebellious sinners!

What but infinite love led Him to Gethsemane, to endure those agonies for sinners, where His blessed form was covered with bloody sweat!

What but infinite love nailed Him to the cross, there to bleed and die for sinners!

"Greater love has no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends." But oh! the greatest wonder in the universe is, that "When we were God's ENEMIES, we were reconciled to Him through the death of His Son!"

Think of this, wonder at it, be amazed at it!

Christ, the glorious Son of God--dying for you, a vile sinner, a rebel worm!

O admire that love which pitied you in your lost condition, visited your world, and raised you from the depths of sin and suffering--to become an heir of eternal bliss and glory!

How vast is this love! The all surpassing love of a dying Savior!
Your breadths and lengths have never been compassed by a human thought;
your depths never fathomed by a created intelligence;
your heights never scanned by a seraph's gaze!

Stupendous love!

What a theme--the dying love of the crucified Son of God!

Well may angels desire to dwell on this mystery!

Well may saints be enraptured with this profound subject!

What heart is so obdurate as not to be melted by its touching exhibition--or so benighted as not to be dazzled by its glory!

How wonderful! That He who kindled up the stars of Heaven--should take upon Him our nature, and die in our room and stead!

Amazing love!

This is the wonder of wonders--the unsearchable riches of Christ!

Truly, the love of Christ surpasses knowledge!

Those, and those alone, who have stood by the cross and viewed Immanuel in agonies and death, bleeding and dying for their sins; and have felt that healing balm applied to their diseased souls; and have seen all their sins washed away with the blood of God, their ransom paid, and their pardon sealed--will realize the following very appropriate and beautiful lines:
"In evil long I took delight,
Unawed by shame or fear,
Till a new Object struck my sight,
And stopped my wild career!

I saw One hanging on a tree,
In agony and blood,
Who fixed His languid eyes on me,
As near His cross I stood.

Surely, never to my dying breath,
Can I forget that look;
It seemed to charge me with His death,
Though not a word He spoke.

My conscience felt and owned the guilt,
And plunged me in despair,
I saw my sins, His blood had spilt,
And helped to nail Him there!

Alas! I knew not what I did,
But now my tears are vain;
Where shall my trembling soul be hid
For I, the Lord have slain!

A second look He gave, which said,
'I freely all forgive;
This blood is for your ransom paid;
I die, that you may live!'

Thus while His death, my sin displays
In all its blackest hue,
Such is the mystery of grace,
It seals my pardon too!

With pleasing grief and mournful joy,
My spirit now is filled;
That I should such a life destroy,
Yet live by Him I killed!"
  (John Newton)

No comments:

Post a Comment