Thursday, January 14, 2016

Secure Not Insecure


Secure not Insecure


Secure not Insecure
Lord, you alone are my portion and my cup; you make my lot secure. Psalm 16:5

I felt insecure growing up with a disengaged dad. My mom, two younger brothers and I survived by the grace of God. Not surprisingly, our single parent home struggled to find stability. Life was full of fear, shame and insecurity. Financial insecurity: will dad pay child support this month? Physical insecurity: where will I live and attend school? Social insecurity: will I be accepted by my peers for only having one parent? Spiritual insecurity: I felt abandoned by the Lord. Outer instability fostered my inner insecurities. But, Jesus became my security!

We can rest in our risen Savior, because our living Lord holds our lot in life secure. Our destiny is determined by Divine intervention, not just our intentional living. What a relief to know our life on earth and our eternal life are secured by Jesus. We inherit our portion of the Lord’s gifts for current needs. All that is required for our work, family and ministry are provided by God’s grace. A secure life drinks often from Christ’s cup of comfort. Like a sip of hot cider warms the body on a cold winter’s day, so a drink from the cup of our Father’s love secures our soul in Him.

“We who have fled to take hold of the hope set before us may be greatly encouraged. We have this hope as an anchor for the soul, firm and secure” (Hebrews 6:18-19).

What fear or insecurity holds hostage your imagination? A potential career change? Relational conflict? A move? An impetuous child? An unpredictable family member.?Be careful not to catastrophize (assume the worse) the situation, instead lean into your security in the Lord. Obsessing over “what ifs” only contributes to an attitude not anchored in hope. Instead, tether your trust to God’s irrevocable trust for you in Jesus. Your spiritual inheritance is your unchanging security. Enjoy and experience your riches in Christ now. God secures your life by Christ’s life in you.

Get off the self reliant treadmill of distrust and walk on the self denial road of trust with Jesus. We don’t necessarily have to define every scenario that might happen and create contingency plans. A mind that never rests fatigues body and soul. But mental margin leaves room for God to get the glory. Repetitive verbal obsessing tends to isolate us from intimacy. But, as we take captive every thought to Christ—we submit to security. We avoid becoming an insecure slave to fear.Security in the Lord has nothing to prove—peace, no striving. Our lot in life is secured by God.

“You will be secure, because there is hope; you will look about you and take your rest in safety” (Job 11:18).

Prayer: Heavenly Father, I place my security in Your hands and in my Savior Jesus Christ.

~Wisdom Hunters Devotional~


No comments:

Post a Comment