Monday, August 19, 2013

The Godhead of the Spirit

"And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter ... even the Spirit of truth" (John 14:16-17)

In her sacred hymnody the Church has freely acknowledged the Godhead of the Spirit and in her inspired song she has worshiped Him with joyous abandon. Some of our hymns to the Spirit have become so familiar that we tend to miss their true meaning.

In the poetical works of Fredrick Faber I have found a hymn to the Holy Spirit which I would rank among the finest ever written:

"Fountain of Love! Thyself true God!
Who through eternal days
From Father and from Son hast flowed
In uncreated ways!

I dread Thee, Unbegotten Love!
True God! sole Fount of Grace!
And now before Thy blessed throne
My sinful self abase.

O Light! O Love! O very God
I dare no longer gaze
Upon Thy wondrous attributes
And their mysterious ways."

The Holy Spirit is a Being dwelling in another mode of existence. He nevertheless exists as surely as you exist!

~A. W. Tozer~

No comments:

Post a Comment