Friday, November 22, 2013

As Holy As I Want to Be

"I dwell in the high and holy place ... to receive the spirit of the humble, and to revive the heart of the contrite ones" (Isaiah 57:15)

Among revival-minded Christians I have heard the saying, "Revivals are born after midnight."

This is one of those proverbs which, while not quite literally true, yet points to something very true.

If we understand the saying to mean that God does not hear our prayer for revival made in the daytime, it s of course not true. If we take it to mean that prayer offered when we are tired and worn-out has greater power than prayer made when we are rested and refreshed, again it is not true.

Yet there is considerable truth in the idea that revivals are born after midnight, for revivals come only to those who want them badly enough. It may be said without qualification that every man is as holy and as full of the Spirit as he wants to be.

Spirit of God, descend upon my heart;
Wean it from earth, through all its pulses move;
Stoop to my weakness, mighty as Thou Art,
And make me love Thee as I ought to love.

~A. W. Tozer~

No comments:

Post a Comment