Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Surrender in Thanks


In everything give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you. 1 Thessalonians 5:1
8
What do you do when nothing but uncertainty and insecurity fill your mind? How do you overcome the sensation that your entire body is burning as a result of fear and panic? Whether we admit it or not, all of us will have to deal at times with circumstances that overwhelm us. We all go through problems that take us by surprise, come out of nowhere and make us feel trapped that we have to surrender to its way. It has been in these times that I have cried out to God from the depths of my heart, “Why?” My thoughts range from “What have I done wrong to deserve this?” to “Where is God?” My mind sorts through the circumstance until I am exhausted, while my body burns like a fire that melts my insides. For some of us, we share the pain we are suffering because we are searching for answers and trying to sort through our thoughts and emotions. For others, we attempt to control and mask the thoughts and emotions so no one will suspect the struggles we face.

Regardless of how we look or feel in a time of crises, we need to learn how to get through those times with the Lord. The circumstances may seem to trap us, but getting and keeping control are not the answers. The only way to find freedom when life has pinned you down and chained you in is through surrender.
The word “surrender” has mixed connotations. It is an easier word to accept than “submit” but it really does have the same meaning. During those times that our mouth is praying out of panic, our inward soul needs to learn to surrender and submit to the sovereign, all powerful, ever present God. In other words, your heart needs to speak words of praise and thanksgiving even though your flesh (including your mind) is pleading for God to rescue you. It is in this place of praise that an overwhelming peace begins to cover your heart, mind, soul and quenches the fire within you. To give thanks in everything is a hard action to apply. The Christian who can truly apply this principle to his or her life demonstrates a real maturity in their walk. It is in this place that the chains of oppression will be broken, setting the captive free.

Pray about itOh Lord, teach me how to sincerely praise You in the good times so that a wellspring of thanks may truly overflow from my heart during those frightening, overwhelming trials. I want to walk in power and peace. I know that they stem from a heart of praise. Help me to have that heart of thanksgiving for everything You are doing in my life. In Jesus name, Amen.

~Daily Disciples Devotional~

No comments:

Post a Comment